Friday, October 19, 2007

Soy de Gua-da-la-ja-ra!

I had a bad attitude going into today. After school we had to participate in a festival, in which each class was required to prepare some kind of game or activity. Fortunately, my room-mothers are awesome and took care of a lot of stuff, bringing supplies and food to sell. However, I was still negative-feeling sorry for myself for not getting planning done before Friday, and thus having to work on the weekend.
I cheered up about everything, though. Our booth was the Water Balloon Toss. Noone really played it the right way, but it turned out to be really low-key, and VERY popular! What really changed my attitude was a short, funny conversation with a tiny and cute little boy.

boy: after hearing me speak in English: "ohhh.. hablas inglés?" (do you speak English?).
Me: ". Y tú? Hablas inglés?" (Yes, do you?)
boy: "No! Soy de Gua-da-la-ja-ra!" (No! I am from Gua-da-la-ja-ra)

I think you probably had to be there. But he made me laugh. And even though we were the last table to clean up (because the balloons became so popular that all the big kids wanted to buy them just to throw at people), I left feeling satisfied.

(Ok... so satisfaction came in a large part from the fact that we raised $100 for our class! All from water balloons and these snacks that look like styrofoam and taste like nothing until you smother them with chili, lime, and salt--a local favorite.)

Now I'm off to bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment