Monday, September 10, 2007

Por Fin!

I finally did what I've been wanting to do since I moved here-I helped in an impoverished community. My roommate, Jacque, got in touch with a girl from a local church who is ministering to a poor community called Arenales (I think that's how you spell it). She does a bible club with the kids (ages 3 to 12) on Saturdays, and she goes during the week to have bible studies with their parents. Six of us Lincoln teachers went to the kid's club last Saturday. We didn't know what to expect, but our only job this week was bringing the snack. We got there and cleaned up the musty, moldy, cement house where the club is held, and we prepared the food. There is no running water in the house, so some of us went across the street to borrow water and haul it back in buckets. The kids began arriving soon after we got there, and we spent a good hour just playing with and getting to know them. I must say, they are pretty darn good at understanding my gringa Spanish! The bible lesson was so cute! The girl who leads it, Jessi, is so fun and animated. She held the attention of the three year olds all the way up to the ten/twelve year olds!! She had the kids get in a big circle, lay hands on us, and pray for us. It was so sweet to see the tiny little kids with their eyes squeezed shut repeating her sweet prayer. Before the kids left, they all came to give us our goodbye besitos, the cheek kisses that are the normal greeting/farewell here. From the tiniest girl of 3 to the bigger kids, they all made sure to despedir us before leaving. I loved it and I loved them and I want to continue helping there every weekend!!The house across the street, where we got our water.



1 comment:

  1. precious :) i am so excited for you! You are beautiful and amazing.

    ReplyDelete