Saturday, June 09, 2012

Life to the Fullest


If you haven't read it yet, please go buy a copy of the book Kisses From Katie.

This book is changing my life, as well as the lives of my good teacher friends here in Honduras.
My birthday is in August..... hint, hint.
You can check out http://www.amazima.org/ or Katie's personal blog, http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/ to learn more about the amazing story of the girl who moved to Uganda after high school to help orphans for "one year" and ended up adopting 14 girls, along with changing the lives of thousands. She's only 22 and has done SO much.  As my friends and I prepare to leave our lives of service here in Honduras, and as we wonder what is in store for us in the future, this book has given us both hope in God's provision and also a bit of trepidation as we prepare to return to the life that Katie gave up.  Below is a part of the book that spoke to me, because living an American life of mediocracy is certainly not what I want.

"Fear. It's part of human nature, but it's not something we got from God. Second Timothy 1:7 says: 'For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.' When I imagine God creating each one of us and planting a purpose deep in our hearts, I never imagine that purpose being mediocrity. While the Bible doesn't tell every person on earth specifically what his or her life's calling will be, it does include a lot of general direction:
    "You are to find me in the least of these." Yes.
    " You are to leave your earthly possessions and come follow me."  Yes.
    "You are to love and serve the Lord God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself." Yes.
    "You are to go and make disciples of all nations."  Yes.
    "You are to entertain strangers and lepers and tax collectors." Yes.
    "You are to live a life of mediocrity and abundance, holding on tight to your comfortable lifestyle, lest you lose it." No.
I don't think so. "Mediocrity and abundance" aren't there. However, mediocrity and abundance, comfort and ease, do seem to be safe choices for many people, myself included. In stark contrast, leaving our possessions, following Jesus when we don't have a well-defined plan, and entertaining strangers--well, that does sound a little scary. But what if, just beyond that risk, just beyond the fear is a life better than anything we have every imagined: life to the fullest."

Kisses From Katie, p. 100

I know myself and the lure of American consumerism that hits me every time I return to the States.  Everyone has more. Everything is nice and new and shiny and safe... and I compare myself and my things to them.  My current prayer for Daniel and I, my goal for our life in the States, is that we do not get lured into a life of mediocracy and abundance.  I don't want a full house that ties us down.  I don't want so much comfort that we can't just pick up and leave if God calls us to do so.  I want to live life to the fullest, and by full I mean as materially empty and as full of God's provision as possible.  


No comments:

Post a Comment